Potential Xbox One owners were none too happy with the announcement that Kinect Sports Rivals wouldn't launch alongside the console in November. Given the Kinect focus of the new console, it seemed concerning that next to no solid Kinect-enabled games would be available on day 1.
But today, Microsoft has revealed that Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason will be available to download at launch and will provide a little taste of the experience. Preseason will be available for free on November 22nd and will include one of the Kinect Sports Rivals events, wake racing, along with various monthly challenges and unlockables.
Kinect Sports Rivals is scheduled for a spring 2014 release.
Check out the announcement from the Xbox Wire site and the trailer below.
Announcing Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason trailer:
I wanted to let you know that you can be among the first to play “Kinect Sports Rivals” this November and discover the power of the all new Kinect, in “Kinect Sports Rivals” Preseason. Starting on Nov. 22, Xbox One’s launch day, you can download a free trial experience of “Kinect Sports Rivals’” wake racing, unlock exclusive in-game rewards and get ahead of the competition before the full game launches in spring 2014. Players can get information on upcoming challenges, rewards, and Xbox One news in the “Kinect Sports Rivals” Hub, also available to download starting on Nov. 22. The “Kinect Sports Rivals” Hub will be the best way for players to track progress across the monthly challenges and stay on top of their competition.
The “Kinect Sports Rivals” Preseason will run from Nov. 22, 2013 until March 2014, and throughout this time, players will face monthly challenges with the chance to earn points and unlock rewards only available in Preseason. See below for details:
- Download the free trial experience anytime from Nov. 22 thru Nov. 30 and start earning points to unlock the special “Founder” player title, an exclusive “Kinect Sports Rivals” wetsuit and a “Kinect Sports Rivals” wake racer to commemorate the launch of Xbox One.
- Players will compete against familiar faces – including a fully digital version of me and my good friendAceyBongos who will step in as tough competition.
- New monthly challenges with unique objectives and rewards will become available within the “Kinect Sports Rivals” Hub – some will be personal, some will be co-op, and some will pit nation against nation in a global battle for international fame. Each challenge will deliver its own exclusive rewards that will carry over to the full game when it launches next spring.
- Complete every player challenge given and expand the fun by racing against a friend in the same room in split screen mode.
- Enjoy an all-new track by rising musical group Youngblood Hawke. They recorded “Collide” just for “Kinect Sports Rivals.”
Launching in spring of 2014, “Kinect Sports Rivals” is the next generation of the best-selling Kinect franchise, “Kinect Sports.” “Kinect Sports Rivals” brings favorite sports back in re-imagined ways, and delivers new sports and events made possible only with Xbox One’s revolutionary technology. “Kinect Sports Rivals” puts players in the game like never before, tracks their movements and expressions with incredible accuracy, and offers never-ending competition with friends and rivals.
It's you vs. the world
Kinect Sports Rivals, built for the power of Xbox One, lets you become the champion you were meant to be in an ever-evolving sports competition. Instantly create a super you and take on friends, rivals, and the entire world in the events tennis, bowling, soccer, wake racing, target shooting, and climbing.
A challenger comes forth
And that challenger is you. The all-new, unparalleled Kinect technology instantly scans you and captures your likeness as a super you: your champion. Now the game is all about you—how you look, how you act, how you compete.
Xbox One’s all-new sensor technology reinvents motion game play. With specific tracking not only of limbs, but fingers, hand gestures, even facial movements and expressions, Kinect Sports Rivals makes competition more meaningful.
Always a new experience
With different sports happening in multiple zones, you’ll find yourself in the middle of a world of gaming and adventure that grows and evolves based on your tastes, skills, and experiences.
Join a team
Teams add a whole new layer. They bind the community and bring life to the competition. When you step into an event, you’ll be able to surround yourself with people that play the way you want to play.