Mario's first Wii U adventure, New Super Mario Bros. U, launches alongside the new Wii U console on Nov. 18. In addition to all the side-scrolling fun that Mario is known for, the game includes a number of special modes and features that will make players want to jump in again and again.
- Challenge Mode: Challenge Mode tasks players with completing specific objectives, such as clearing a course without touching a single coin or touching the ground. There are four single-player Challenge categories: Time Attack, Coin Collection, 1-Up Rally and Special (miscellaneous challenges). Boost Mode Challenges require two players, with one player using the Wii U GamePad controller and the other using a Wii Remote controller. Once players complete a Challenge, the game saves a replay of the action so players can show off their accomplishments.
- Coin Battle: Up to five players can play together and compete to see who can collect the most coins. One player will use the Wii U GamePad controller while the other four players use the Wii Remote controller. The player using the Wii U GamePad controller in Boost Mode can place Boost Blocks to help grab hard-to-reach coins. Players can also use the GamePad to edit and customize the coin layout in courses found only in Coin Battle. The coin layout can then be saved and played by the players using Wii Remote controllers.
- World Map: New Super Mario Bros. U is the first side-scrolling Mario game since 1991's Super Mario World that features a seamless World Map with named worlds and courses. The map contains many secret exits, which might change the map and cause shortcuts to appear. The worlds are interconnected, so people can play through the game in a nonlinear fashion.
- Nabbit: From time to time, a creature named Nabbit will appear on the world map. Players must enter the course and catch the speedy Nabbit to recover items stolen from Toad. If Nabbit is nabbed, players receive a powerful P-Acorn, which will allow them to fly continuously through an entire stage. The only way to obtain a P-Acorn is to catch Nabbit.
Multiple controllers are necessary for multiplayer modes. Game, system and some accessories are sold separately.
New Super Mario Bros. U will be available on November 18th.
New Super Mario Bros. Uis a multiplayer Platforming adventure that provides a new take on a classic Nintendo franchise that will delight players of all ages and experience levels. A Wii U launch title, New Super Mario Bros. U offers a new way to experience Mario fun like never before. Game features include: support for up to five players, the new Boost Mode and Challenge Mode, unique uses for Mii's, and new block elements that can be used as navigation aids.
* The Wii U GamePad controller offers a new way to experience multiplayer Mario fun. CreateBoost Blocks out of thin air to help players navigate tricky stages or access hidden or hard-to-reach items, and distract onscreen enemies, all with the tap of their finger or stylus.
* Swoop through levels and cling to walls when Mario transformsinto Flying Squirrel Mario, or gently float through the air while hanging onto Balloon Baby Yoshi.
* In addition to the main Story Mode, in which players must rescue Princess Peach, New Super MarioBros. U features more exciting game modes, including:
Boost Rush - Using Boost Mode, two to five players work together to clear many different courses in the fastest time possible. The scene auto scrolls, forcing you to move ahead through the course. As you collect more coins, the scene scrolls faster. Once you've completed your run, you can watch a replay of other players' Boost Rush to help strategize for your next attempt.
Challenge Mode - Numerous single-player and