Nintendo last night announced that yet another Wii milestone has been reached. Super Mario Galaxy, the original game, has become the 9th Wii title to cross the 5 million units sold mark, worldwide. According to Nintendo, there are twice as many 5 million+ sellers on the Wii than there is on the PS3 and Xbox 360, combined.
Read on for their exciting announcement.
Another month, another milestone for Mario: Super Mario Galaxy became the ninth Wii game to sell more than 5 million units in the United States, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. The Wii system, which crossed 39 million units sold in February, now has nearly twice as many 5-million sellers* as competing current-generation consoles combined.
"Wii continues its record-breaking run by surpassing 39 million units in its 64th month, a pace that is unmatched by any other system in U.S. history," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Titles like Super Mario Galaxy help explain why Wii continues to resonate with consumers. The fact that one of the best-reviewed games of all time is available for a suggested retail price of $19.99 speaks to Nintendo's combination of quality, family fun and value that is unmatched in our industry."
Other Nintendo milestones achieved in February include:
• Nintendo sold 625,000 total hardware units in February and saw double-digit growth across each of its product lines compared to January. This includes:
- Nintendo 3DS: 262,000, a 53 percent increase
- Wii: 228,000, a 50 percent increase
- Nintendo DS: 135,000, a 76 percent increase
- Total: 625,000, a 57 percent increase
* The Wii games to surpass 5 million units sold in the United States include: Wii Play (13.06 million), Mario Kart Wii (11.3 million), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (8.86 million), Wii Fit (8.18 million), Wii Fit Plus (7.32 million), Wii Sports Resort (6.45 million), Just Dance 2 (5.61) million,Super Smash Bros. Brawl (5.43 million) and Super Mario Galaxy (5.04 million). Just Dance 3 is poised to be the next title added to the list with a lifetime total of 4.61 million.
The ultimate Nintendo hero is taking the ultimate step into space! Become Mario as he traverses a galaxy of gravities! Travel in and out of gravitational fields by blasting from planet to planet and experience dizzying perspective shifts as you run upside-down through wild alien worlds that need to be seen to be believed. Shake it! Controlling Mario is as simple as can be with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Move Mario with the Control Stick and shake the Wii Remote to perform a spin move or cue Ring Stars that launch you to and from planetary objects. You can even point at bits of stardust to collect them or latch onto Beam Stars to blaze a magnetic trail through the heavens. Don't want to head into space alone? With a second Wii Remote, another player can play alongside you by pointing at and collecting bits of stardust, then launching them at enemies. Your friend can even sweep aside projectiles or stall enemies to help make Mario's adventure easier!